Together, we can do it!
Catherine Junior School History Vision Statement
At Catherine Junior School our curriculum is designed to equip children with the knowledge and skills to become independent, life-long learners by providing inspiring and engaging experiences. Through History, children spark a curiosity about the past locally, within Britain and the wider world. Our intent is to stimulate the children’s creativity and encourage them to make meaningful links and embed their knowledge of history.
Aims and Objectives:
We believe that every child can develop an understanding and love of history. At Catherine Junior School, we have high expectations to enable excellence for all and we base our teaching on the belief that all children have the potential to succeed. Our curriculum is led by our whole school core principles of Oracy, Reading, Experiences and Memory and Recall.
CJS aim to develop learners who:
· Possess a coherent understanding of the chronology of the British Isles and other important periods of history.
· Know and understand significant aspects of British history and of the wider world.
· Understand how our knowledge of the past is constructed from a range of sources.
· Understand historical concepts such as continuity and change, significance and material culture; use these to ask historically valid questions.
· Can identify similarities and differences and make connections within time frames.
· Enquire in to historically themed questions and form their own opinions and interpretation of the past through wider reading.
· Communicate using a range of historical language and express themselves clearly and in a variety of ways, including using Oracy skills.
· Connect knowledge to other things they have learnt and recall what they already know to apply knowledge gained.
· Have a Growth Mind-set and a positive ‘can-do’ attitude towards the subject of History.
· Use The Catherine Code to develop character traits that are: Supportive, Resilient, Collaborative, Enthusiastic, Motivated, Respectful, Thoughtful and Valued.