Together, we can do it!
At Catherine Junior School our curriculum is designed to provide, through inspiring and engaging experiences, the knowledge and skills to become independent, life-long learners. We believe that art should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own ideas. Pupils should be able to think critically and develop an understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design contribute to culture and history.
We teach art through our Project Based Learning where children have opportunities to develop their art skills and critical understanding of the subject. It is underpinned by our whole school principles of Oracy, Reading, Experiences and Memory and Recall.
Aims and Objectives:
We believe that every child can engage with and participate in art based learning, with the right kind of teaching and support. At Catherine Junior School, we have high expectations to enable excellence for all and we base our teaching on the belief that all children have the potential to succeed. All aspects of our eight key principles in The Catherine Code underpin our curriculum, which promotes our school motto and ethos of ‘Together, we can do it!’
CJS aim to develop learners who:
· Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences in art books.
· Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques such as textiles, pattern and printing.
· Recognise and appreciate art, craft and design in the world around them and be able to share their thoughts with confidence.
· Know about great artists, craft makers and designers and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms through reading, secondary research and experiences such as gallery visits, community projects or artists in residence.
· Connect knowledge to other areas of learning and experiences they have had.
· Communicate using a range of sophisticated vocabulary and express themselves orally and through a variety of media.
· Recall and retain art specific vocabulary, artists they have learnt about and experiences they have had.
· Have a Growth Mind set and a positive ‘can-do’ attitude towards the subject of Art.
· Use The Catherine Code and are Supportive, Resilient, Collaborative, Enthusiastic, Motivated, Respectful, Thoughtful and Valued.